Thursday, August 17, 2006

On Doing What U Luv

Years ago, ah worked in an environment where everyone was super-stressed. Coworkers cowered in de V.P.'s presence, because he was de one who reported bi-monthly departmental exam results. (Not every employee had to sit these, but 'Jr' underwriters, etc., had to.) Others worried about failing all de likkle exams up to de 'big exam', not getting their licences, and missing out on de positions that required Series 6, etc.. De company even had supposedly state-administered counseling exams that followed in-house/online training & texts for HR. Stress. De point is, after Piggy made de switch from that to other work that made mi happier (feelin' at times like ah was chickenin' out, mind U), ah found out that even people who R still there weren't/aren't happy in that career. Gotta earn that dough. (I'm not talkin' about bein' frustrated about some aspects, but enjoyin' de overall work. e.g., Mr. Pig walked away from music production, when he was younger because, as he put it, "Wrong time!" but he enjoyed every minute while he did it. No. I'm talkin' about actually hatin' what U do while U do it.) Ah guess de true test is this: If U won de lotto tomorrow, would U do any-ting even remotely resemblin' your present occupation? (After all, wealth is freedom--in so many ways.) But health is wealth (i.e. freedom), and U've got your health, so would U make de switch now?

P.S. In unrelated news, heard that Vaz Prep's founder passed away. Condolences. Had it been Mrs. Ulett, however, many J'cans woulda been weepin' & moanin'.

Must Add: Just found out that today is Kami's Birthday! Happy Birthday, Kami!

15 comments:

Mad Bull said...

I met Mrs. Ulett a coupla times, she was nice. What was the founder's name?

Melody said...

MB, her name was Hazel Vaz.

Scratchie said...

would i be doing what i am doing now?......NOT IN THE REMOTEST SENSE OF THE WORD!!!! I'm in this because I can't do better right now. Don't get me wrong, I will do the job to the best of me but....

Abeni said...

Nah.I love what am doing.All I need is the good health

Unknown said...

I'll just ay I do what I do to survive.

Abeni said...

Melody,email me at kamika@gmail.com

Marc M said...

Cheers to "doing what u luv". As you say money is not the only measure of wealth - health, happiness and other factors are also important measures.

I still don't quite kno what I want to do in life, but I hope it will be something I love.

Jdid said...

if i won the lttery i wouldnt quit right away but eventually i'd have to start my own thing.

i have a love hate relationship with my job. realize it cat all be what i want but there are certain aspects that just annoy me to no end

Melody said...

Was away briefly enjoyin' summer's last hurrah, but . . .
Scratchie, I've been there, and still working towards filling my work life with all that ah luv. Hang in there mi dear!
Kami, U got it made! Check your email.
Stunner, that's Darwinism at it's most realistic.
Shotta, yeah U'll do what U luv. Seems 2 me U got de brains/heart & cojones 2 do it.
Jdid, U sound like U're just about where Kami is--but maybe annoyance comes with de territory of de field U luv. Even in doin' what ah luv, there's annoyance too.

Unknown said...

Glad you're working somewhere you love. Too many people have to work in jobs they hate to bring home the bacon. R.I.P. Miss Vaz.

Melody said...

And de bacon is so important, Leon.
Doc, U're true. U're already volunteerin' somewhat by stickin' to JA when so many J'can MDs have opted for FL.

lilfeathers2000 said...

Its wonderful to do what you love. Stressed is such a horrible way to live.

Rev Island said...

Thanks for touching down. No comment re the work blues.

Gela said...

If I win the lotto, I'd resign with immediate effect. I'll stay if they agree to my terms work 2/3 days per week only and certainly not 8 hours.

Tired of working, ready to travel the world now.

Melody said...

Hail up, Feathers & Revolution (paired like that, your names sound like a rock band's name).
But, Gela, U have every detail nicely lined up eeh: 8-12hr office-weeks & full pay. Promise JA that tomorrow & JA woulda vote out Sista P, an' vote een Sista G:)